Thursday 26 March 2015

Te Ahu a Turanga Noho Marae

Description:  In week 7, we had an overnight stay at the local Marae in Woodville.  We were immersed in Maori culture and participated in a range of activities.  We set two goals to focus on during our stay.

Here is my camp goals:
If you can't read it, here is what it says:
I aim to cooperate with my team more because I usually like hanging out with people I know REALLY well.
I aim to create a creative presentation that will bring humour and entertainment in the camp concert.



Big Idea:  
1.  Did you achieve your goals?  How do you know?
I know I have achieved my goals by far. I managed to cooperate with my group well even though I didn't know them that well. I have also brought entertainment in the room at camp concert.

2.  What are you most proud of from the marae stay and why?
I am most proud of being able to have a GOOD sleep. I might of overslept by 30 mins, but at least I got a better sleep than anyone else. I didn't get any interruptions and I didn't let the noise bother me.



3.  What challenged you the most and why?
What challenged me the most was the stilts. I have never tried the stilts before so it was a great experience. I kept falling down and losing my balance but eventually I got there by practising.

Here is my bookmark I made about my highlights at camp.

If you didn't get the picture on the bookmark I will explain them to you.

The first picture is a picture of a pukeko. In the bus ride to the Marae, there was a pukeko walking by. It was pretty amazing that we saw a native bird.

The second one is a Maori symbol. It was called a Swirl Koru. A Swirl Koru means growth and unity. I thought at camp that we were all growing in our learning of Maori culture and togetherness. 

The third one is a picture of the Manawatu Gorge. In the Gorge walk I thought the scenery was extraordinary including the story behind it.   



1 comment:

  1. I just love the symbolism in the bookmark you made with Nicole. It is beautiful! Thanks for sharing that Aye. It is also great to hear that you were able to cooperate with your group (I'm not surprised that you met that goal at all!) - did you form any new friendships by being in this group?

    ReplyDelete