Wednesday 17 June 2015

Kapahaka Reflection

Every Monday at 2:00, the Kapa Haka kids practise in the hall. Rosie has formed a new Kapa Haka competitive group for competing in competitions. This group is called "Tematangi" Tematangi practises twice as much as the original Kapa Haka, Te Roopu.
  1. Kapa haka is the term for Māori performing arts and literally means to form a line (kapa) and dance (haka). Kapa haka is an avenue for Maori people to express and showcase their heritage and cultural Polynesian identity through song and dance.


    Big Idea : 
    At kapahaka I enjoy learning about the songs and how the songs relate to our culture. I also love to learn the moves of traditional dances.


    I am most proud of being able to join the Kapahaka for the past few years and being able to perform in front of an audience.


    I find pronouncing the Māori words challenging because Te Reo Māori is much more different than the english language. If you pronounce a word wrong, the word will have a completely different meaning.    

    I am managing this challenge by listening to what everyone else sings, then I copy what they say. If the person that I am copying is incorrect, the leaders would correct us.


    A personal goal for me is to be able to prove that I know all the meanings to the songs and the pronunciation correct by the end of the year.
       
    Our school wide focus this term has been around showing excellence. I show this at kapahaka by striving to the best of my ability and trying my best to get the movements correct.

    Feedback/Feedforward: Amazing Aye you have done very well with pronouncing the words because 
    I have not noticed you having any trouble lately. The thing I think that you need to work on is speaking LOUDLY so that the crowd can hear you.#Olivia AKA  🍍's BFF



1 comment:

  1. What a reflective learner you are Aye! I love the way you are challenging yourself to know the meaning of all of the songs that you are singing. A great goal to have!

    ReplyDelete