Thursday 11 June 2015

Maths Portfolio Sample

Description: In class we have been tested on a series of math questions. Each Stage Group in maths had different questions. For example: Stage 5 had to use one number, while stage 6 had to use two. For stage 6 maths, we were tested on questions like: "Write two numbers that have a sum of exactly 30." These questions were laid out as Rebel Sport prices.

Questions:



Big Idea: The strategies that I'm learning at the moment is: R/C, E/A and P/V. If you don't know what these strategies do or what they mean, here is my explanation. R/C stands for "Rounding And Compensating" We basically round a number from our equation, then add how many numbers we rounded in the first place. If that makes no sense, here is an example: 63-39=?    63 - 40 +1 =24.
E/A stands for Equal Additions. This is the same as R/C but except from add after the equation, we add before the equation. For example: 63-39=?      64-40=24. And P/V stands for Place Value. 



You are probably wondering what answers I got. Well, here are my answers as well as what strategies I used.

1) (P/V) 
345 + 379 = 724
300 + 300 = 600
40 + 70 = 110
5+9 = 14
600+110+14=724

2) (Trial & Error + Equal Addition)
(It took ALOT of trial and error, so here are only a few of the equations that I worked with.)
                    155-119 = 156 - 120
+1   +1 
=36
____________
                      215 - 119 = 216- 120
+1  +1
=96
___________
                  215 - 115 = 220 - 160
+5   +5
=60!!

3) (Trial & Error +Algorithms, with help from Bella)

379
+119 
____
=489
________________

379
+45
____
=424
________________

289
+155
____
544


________________

289
+137
______
=426!!

4) (Algorithms)
        289
       155
         ____
        134

FeedBack/Feedforward: 
WOW Aye, you are defiantly showing a lot of stratagies and  what you have been very good at. You could work on showing 
the Reversibility strategy. I really think you have shown us what you know and what to work on. You have done a lot of work on this as I have seen you in class. Amy



Evaluation: Thanks Amy. I really think I have learned a lot of strategies that I have never have known before. I think I might need to use more strategies that may be a good match for the equation. Other than that, I think I have gotten a better understanding of different strategies. I hopefully can use these strategies in High School or College or my job!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you thinking ahead to your future Aye! These strategies will come in very handy!

    Yes, Stage 6 is all about choosing the most efficient strategy depending on the relationship between the numbers. We want to see Equal Additions, Place Value Partitioning, Reversibility and Rounding & Compensating. Keep trying to look at the relationship between the numbers to decide what strategy is best to use.

    ReplyDelete